I saw an abandoned truck quilt at the 2019 PIQF and wanted to try my hand at something similar with a favorite photo of my daughter when she was in daycare.
This is about 10yrs ago when I worked at Nike and my daughter was in daycare there.
I postered it up and put it on a background I think I might like and stuck it on the wall to look at and get a feeling for it. Seems like a lot of sunflowers. Maybe I'll opt for a little less background as I go into this project.
I went through the fabrics to find the right values I wanted to use. I chose to start on the dress and hat first.
I traced the entire posterized drawing with a lightbox behind. This gave me a starting point for the pieces that would make up the artpiece.
Because I wanted to use what I had, I chose four values for the dress and while searching for the dress colors, I found really great pinks for the hat. I will use some of the values from the dress for the hat to tie into the dress.
You see 5 colors over the dress but I chose to go with the more solid darker value. I didn't want it to go too far away from realistic into the artsy.
I referenced a number of videos when figuring out how to do this. When doing a collage art quilt there is one step off point and many, many finishing techniques. I needed to turn the fabric pieces into appliques.
Using the lightbox, I flipped the original tracing over, drew each value piece in a grouping onto the paper of the light weight fusible web, cut each group and ironed it to the back side of the valued fabric.
The pieces were cut a little outside the marks so they would overlap ever so slightly when ironed on the base. Working from dark to light, back to front, the dress is done. Now to see if it's what I was looking for and onto the wall it goes.
I think it turned out better than I expected. I think this is a keeper. Next up the hat.